Saturday, October 3, 2009

preview: you can do it, they can help

home depot doesn't lie.

about 6 months ago, i was roaming through anthropology when my lil' eyes beheld this amazing 8-9 foot high, hexagon-shaped wardrobe. i was a little obsessed.

then, about a month ago, while brain storming hannah's upcoming birthday, her fondness of fancy-ness, and many unsuccessful searches for a cool looking dress-up wardrobe...i remembered that anthro creation i'd seen.

hmmm....maybe i should make an attempt....

so 2-3 weeks ago, steve being the supportive husband that he is and knowing how much i l-o-v-e feeling creative with my hands, sent me off to home depot with my sad looking sketch, an idea in my mind, and a tape measurer.

after spending an afternoon with 3 different h.d. employees, learning how to create the 120 degree angle of my hexagon shape using only 90 degree angled brackets, and calculating the price in every size of wood possible...

i came back with this:


fabric availability & pricing (misc. swatches below), trim selection, details, pricing again, construction obstacles, etc. ... made it that much more exciting to put together.  

*to save some dollars, i remembered our ikea ticking stiped, yellow curtains that have been in storage anyways since we are living with my in-laws...i think it will work! 
 
now let's just hope hannah likes it...it's almost done!

stay-tuned:
~hannah's kitty party is today!
~birthday tomorrow! 
~giving her the wardrobe sunday morn...

9 comments:

Julianne said...

how adorable... I can't wait to see your masterpiece!!

Silus Grok said...

Good luck! You can do it! Take pictures!

Kathy said...

Callie, you seriously are the best Mom! I can't wait to see the finished product! Love the fabric choices. :)

Tiana said...

I can't wait to see it!!! You are so creative, and inspiring! I can't wait til I have a place big enough to do DIY projects. I already have a couple lined up.

p.s. Ches didn't take off his tiger ears all day. I had to persuade him to take off the color when we went into public. He LOVED it. I am going to have to make some ears for jealous Ellie.

Brooke Eriksen said...

We SO didn't know it was her birthday!!! PLEASE don't forget to post a picture... I may need step by step instructions:)

Shannon and Kevin said...

So how did it turn out??? The more I get to know you, the more I'm so impressed with you. You are such a talented mommy!! Please post pics soon!

Dayna said...

im so excited to see the finished product!!!

Owner said...

I want to see the final product, you're such a creative woman!!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Wow, Callie - I'm so impressed! What beautiful wardrobe. I am so inspired that you had a vision of something and created it!