Monday, May 25, 2009

brave party

{held}  nightly

{after}  painful/scary bandage changes

{entails}  movie, popcorn, snuggling, beashies/pillows/snuggles/stuffed friends, ANY treat of choice...(we've been spilling over with "brave party" material, thanks to so many generous individuals who wanted to bring joy to her little heart. you have!)

{bribe or reward}  BOTH



bandage changes have become "hannah & mommy time". at first they were traumatic for all of us...now they have provided some sweet moments...as "sweet" as sweet can be during something that is nobody's cup of tea.

one night...

hannah (out of the blue):  mommy, i didn't know what was happening.

me:  when sweetie? when you got your burn?

hannah (lip trembling):  yeah.

me (heart aching):  were you confused sweetie?

hannah (pouting lip):  yeah.

me (heart breaking):  that was scary, wasn't it?

hannah:  yeah.

me:  do you remember mommy came to help you?

(pause)

hannah (slight smile):  yeah.

me:  and what did mommy do?

hannah:  you rocked me.

me:  and who else came to help you?

(pause)

me:  daddy.

hannah (bigger smile with a giggle):  yeah.

me:  and do you remember daddy held you and gave you a blessing?

hannah:  yeah.

me:  and who else was with you hannah?

(pause)

me:  do you remember jesus was with you?

hannah:  yeah. jesus helped me be safe from my burn.

me:  that's right sweetie. jesus was with you and kept you safe.  jesus loves you so much.  jesus, mommy, and daddy love you so much hannah girl...

 

UPDATE: 

surgery was postponed. hip-hip-horay! It would have been too big of a skin graft for a little girl and probably would have needed to be followed up by a second surgery. so we were not disappointed one bit with the news. my days revolve around bandage changes and brave parties (sprinkled with packing boxes for our move this weekend :). we want this to heal quickly and as much as possible! as of now, and depending on how things heal and when, surgery could happen in a month or in two years. 

i am amazed by hannah's courage, resiliency, and joyful heart amidst the pain and trauma. 


now, wishing you joy your way...

15 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Callie, I am so proud at what a wonderful Mommy you are. You inspire me through your endurance, patience and faith. Thank you for sharing such a sweet moment. It makes me want to be better. As a side note, our little Jr. is coming this Sunday at 7:30am (planned c-section). We are so excited.

Cichelli said...

You have always been such a rock, and an example to me of the motherly love I should strive to show my own boys daily.

And now that you're spending lots of time at Children's, do you understand how much I love children's hospitals? They literally perform miracles. I hope the Alfandre's will be loyal fans of Children's Miracle Network forever...

Sending hugs and kisses your way.

Gina said...

Callie you are amazing and such a wonderful mommy! Can I help you with your move? Watch kids? Help Pack? Bring dinner?

Brooke Eriksen said...

Thank you. Thank you for this post. Thank you for being so strong. Thank you for being such a good example to all of us for turning to the Lord. Thank you for sharing your conversation with Hannah. It was so sweet, so true and so pure. Just think of the stong testimony that little girl already has. We love all of you SO much!

Nate and Christina said...

Hey Callie...I want you to know our family has been thinking and praying for your sweet family daily. I'm so glad that Hannah is recovering so well, what a strong little girl! We love you guys!

Christina

Raelynn said...

Callie I loved your post. It was so sweet I loved and I think it makes everyone think. I have reflected on how I would be if it was my child and I will be honest I don't think I would have eben as strong as you. You are such a wonderful mother and your daugther is so sweet. Tell your husband hello for me.

Alexis Poelman said...

I am amazed by your strength and resilience through all this. What a wonderful example to your girls. Hannah will be so much better through and after all of this b/c she's got such an incredible rock of a mom. You guys are amazing.

Mark and Meghan said...

man, she is so cute! so glad to hear the good news about the surgery! love elder cook's message!

uncle buddy said...

I love the picture! I feel like our sweet little hannah is back! cuter and sweeter than ever!

J & J said...

you are amazing callie--such a good mommy. i love that little hannah, just love her.

Kali said...

I told my sister about your brave parties. they struck a little cord in me that is connected to my heartstrings. Hannah is so brave and so lucky to have you as her mother.

natalie said...

your plate is much too full right now, but you're handling it with as much poise and grace as i would always expect from you :) way to ALWAYS find the silver lining. hope the move went well this weekend. and hope things are better everyday. tell hannah she is in our prayers. love you all.

Sher Bear said...

Such a sweet post. I love that little conversation with Hannah. I am so thankful she was and is watched over. Love the music, love Elder Cooks comments, love your family and even forgive you for getting Russ going at the wedding....

anne said...

steve and callie,
we found your blog through mark and meghan's and were so sad to read about hannah. what a strong, courageous little girl! i can only imagine how hard this has been on all of you. there's nothing worse than having to see your child go through pain. she's lucky to have you two as parents and madeline as her little buddy. anyway, just know some old friends are sending our love and prayers your way...
mike and anne packer

courtni said...

Wow! What a big bump in the road! So sad, so sweet the relationship you have with your girls and I love how you share it in your blog. You do it great justice!! Hope little beauty is doing better everyday! How did she get burned?! Poor little thing :) Hang in there :) xo