in my attempts at domesticity, the girls and i planted a garden last year. however, this venture didn't take place until after we moved into our city townhouse at the end of the summer. my high hopes and dreams for this little garden were for it to "sustain" us during winter...a year-round venture.
soon after, peter rabbit and friends (much more pleasant thought than big ol' nasty city rats) began snacking on our garden; hannah was convinced of this! we had planned to make a little scarecrow to fit our little garden. we forgot. oops.
poor little garden.
then, i had planned to build a cold-frame to keep the plant-lings warm and snug through the freezing nights. didn't happen. oops.
poor little, neglected garden.
"i'll try next year; when we are more settled," I told myself.
the birds are chirping. aaahhh. spring has come...with it, rain and new life....hannah and gramma v discovered that the garden had come out of hibernation, survived the munchers, and was soaking in all the warm sunlight and rain mother earth had to offer!!! a springtime miracle!
now, since we are preparing for another move, we decided to munch on our garden's good gifts early.
"listen to this crunch mommy!" yelps hannah. crunch crunch.
"maya-yin cunch!" crunches madeline.
this baby purple carrot won the "coolest garden veggie" award.
i am amazed by gardens.
that something really grows from those tiny little seeds. really??
that there is such a thing as rainbow carrots.
and that something so beautiful and unique can grow, even after the harshest of circumstances....
...this is why i love spring...
"crunch!" that one was me.


7 comments:
that is pretty awesome. purple carrots? i'm sure your girls were in heaven!
i love reading your blog
DARLING! thx for your comment. great to see your name on my blog :) i miss you! i think a catch up is in order! i'll call soon :) and for the record--i can't wait til you can actually squeeze samantha in person :) your girls are adorable and WAY TO GO on the garden! very impressed!
your girls are so cute! I am inspired. Maybe I should plant some window pots... Also, that dress isn't mine in those pictures. I know it's sad, but it's true. I borrowed it from a girlfriend to wear to my brother in law's wedding. I loved every second of wearing it! I don't know where she got it. Some store in california. Sorry about the let down! I am with you though... I wish I could own it too.
So cute!! I wish I had the memory to remember to even plant a garden...
Wow, don't you have a green thumb. :) A garden sounds like so much fun, but I don't know if I'd be taking a bite of that purple carrot any time soon. haha.
the girls are getting so big and staying so cute! Can't wait to see some May b-day pictures since it was Madeline's birth that brought me to your blog.
Post a Comment